From the foods we eat, we derive carbohydrates, proteins, and fats our bodies need for fuel and other essential functions. We also get vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. You may be familiar with different types of food, but did you know that there are specific foods that can make you happy? If you need a mood booster, read this article to know what they are.
Foods That Can Make You Happy
1. Chocolate – Cocoa, which chocolates are made of, contain flavonoids – plant-based antioxidants that have been shown to improve mood. A 2016 study conducted on 80,000 women in midlife and older with a history of depression reported that eating foods with flavonoids is associated with a lower risk of experiencing it. Also, chocolate is rich in magnesium, a mineral that helps calm muscles and reduce anxiety. FYI: dark chocolate is the healthiest type of chocolate.
2. Eggs – If you want your mood to be sunny, eating eggs every now and then can help. The yolk is the tastiest part of an egg and is rich in L-tryptophan that helps to increase happy hormones.
3. Oranges – Aside from vitamin C, oranges also contain vitamin B and flavonoids, both of which can help keep cells healthy, reducing tiredness levels and increasing energy and happiness levels.
4. Bananas – Rich in potassium, bananas provide an energy boost and can make you feel full for longer. This yellow fruit also helps battle depression, thanks to its high levels of tryptophan that is converted to serotonin to produce a happy mood.
5. Avocado – You can add avocado to salads, breakfasts, and more. It is a high-fat food that will leave you feeling full. It also contains high amounts of essential nutrients such as vitamins C, E and K.
6. Yogurt – The perfect addition to granola and fruit, eating yogurt is a healthy start to your day. In particular, Greek yogurt contains vitamin B12, is rich in potassium, and low in sodium – ideal for increasing energy levels and preventing that slumping feeling.
7. Walnuts – Like other nuts, walnuts contain compounds that protect the brain such as melatonin, Omega-3 fats, and vitamin E. Not only do they support brain health, they can also reduce stress, leading to a longer, happier life.
8. Asparagus – Did you know that this crunchy vegetable is among the top 20 foods when it comes to vitamin, mineral and phytonutrient content? Besides giving you the nutrients that you need, it also helps fight off excess homocysteine which can interfere with serotonin production.
9. Tofu – Often placed in the vegetarian section of the menu, tofu can be used as a meat substitute. Regardless of whether you eat meats or are a vegetarian or vegan, the high levels of protein and low fat and cholesterol content of tofu can help lift your mood.
10. Mushrooms – Mushrooms are often underrated as a superfood, but in reality, they contain loads of nutrients, some of which can help regulate your mood. They are rich in a mineral called selenium. Research has found out that a deficiency of selenium can lead to a higher risk of anxiety, tiredness, and depression.
Science has discovered the reason behind foods that can make you happy. Some foods are made of compounds that can have an effect on your mood. Likewise, not eating certain foods can have an opposite effect, putting you at a higher risk for depression. So if you want to be happier, consider incorporating the foods listed in this article to get that much-needed mood boost.
For more health, nutrition and fitness tips, sign up to FITin56!
See Also: 10 Ways to Boost Your Energy